Sunday, February 15, 2009

Beth Ditto: Size-ism and Sexism

http://www.spinner.com/2008/05/08/gossip-grrrl-beth-ditto-takes-full-control/

I've loved the Gossip for a while. They're a fun band and Beth Ditto has a beautiful, throaty, sexy voice. I admire her style of clothes and admire her vision.

She brings up a good point - that men decide what is beautiful for a woman and what isn't. The fashion industry, although traditionally being female-oriented is male dominated. The biggest names in fashion (Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, Yves Saint Laurent) are men. Which is fine of course, but we should look with a critical eye that men don't quite understand a female's body whether or not they're heterosexual or not.

I own corsets, have a size 26 waist naturally and have a 32F chest. I'm less of a person and more of a Barbie Doll. I feel depressed when my weight goes up or if I don't wear cutting-edge fashion. There's such pressure in society to have the perfect body that as a feminist I should rail against and ignore.

I don't. I feel empowered when I look pretty, when I have my corset and heels on. Not empowered in the sense that I'm a new womyn or something like that.

Beth Ditto is my idol though. She's amazingly beautiful and strong.

Does anyone have any idols that break from the traditional Angelina Jolie-look-a-like mold?

(Not that I hate Ms. Jolie. I admire her activism)

No comments:

Post a Comment